Symptoms of Thyroid
It is estimated that across the world millions of people are suffering from thyroid problem even half of them have no idea that they are suffering from this type of thyroid imbalance.
Researchers have shown women are more common thyroid symptoms as compared to men.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THYROID GLAND
The thyroid gland is ductless, an endocrine gland which is a butterfly-shaped gland which is present at the front of the neck below Adam’s apple.
The thyroid gland secretes thyroid hormones, which control the speed of your body’s metabolic rate and protein synthesis and provides energy to the body.
It is regulated by a Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone called TSH, secreted by an anterior pituitary gland which itself regulated by Thyroid Releasing Hormone called TRH produced by the hypothalamus.
In turn, TSH stimulates production and release of T4 and T3 from the thyroid gland. When enough T4 is produced, it signals to TRH and TSH that there is enough thyroid hormone in circulation and not to produce more.
About 85% of the hormone produced by our thyroid gland is T4, which is an inactive form of the hormone. After T4 is made, a small amount of it is converted into T3, which is the active form of thyroid hormone.
The thyroid also produces the hormone calcitonin which plays a role in calcium homeostasis.
But sometimes this gland malfunctioned which can lead to increase or decrease in the production of hormones that determine the metabolism of your body.
Primarily there are two types of Thyroid diseases: Hyperthyroidism and Hypothyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism is caused when thyroid gland over-produces the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) also called overactive thyroid.
Hypothyroidism happens when thyroid gland under-produces the (TSH) also called underactive thyroid
- The most common autoimmune disorder is Graves’ disease It causes antibodies to stimulate the thyroid to secrete too much hormone. It occurs more often in women than in men. It tends to run in families, as a genetic link.
- Excess iodine
- Thyroiditis or inflammation of the thyroid
- Tumors of ovaries or testis
- Benign tumors of the thyroid
- Excess of tetraiodothyronine taken through dietary supplements
SYMPTOMS OF HYPERTHYROIDISM
Symptoms of thyroid in humans are as follows
- Rapid heart rate
- Elevated blood pressure
- Hand tremors
- Bowel movement
- Weight loss
- Irregular menstrual cycle in women
- Swelling in the neck due to enlargement of gland called Goiter
- Increased appetite
- Excessive sweating
- Sensitivity to heat
- Inability to concentrate
- Weakness, dizziness
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty sleeping
- Fine, brittle hair
- Hair loss
- Nausea and vomiting
- Breast development in men
- Congestive heart failure
How do you diagnose Thyroid problems?
TESTS FOR HYPERTHYROIDISM
- Cholesterol Test
- Free T4
- Thyroid peroxidase antibodies
- Thyroglobulin antibodies
- Ultrasound – measures the size of the entire thyroid gland
- CT scan or MRI can show if a pituitary tumor is present
TREATMENT FOR HYPERTHYROIDISM
- Hyperthyroidism can be treated with surgery, drugs, and radioactive therapy
- De-stressing yourself by doing yoga or other recreational activities.
- Quit smoking and stop consuming artificial sweeteners to make sure the gland functions properly.
- The most common autoimmune diseases in hypothyroidism are Hashimoto’s disease is mistakenly attacking your thyroid
- Insufficient dietary iodine
- Congenital diseases
- Viral thyroiditis
- Myxedema coma if hypothyroidism is extremely severe, you might fall into a coma a life-threatening condition
SYMPTOMS OF HYPOTHYROIDISM
Symptoms of thyroid in humans are as follows
- It may vary from person to person
- Sensitivity to cold
- Muscle weakness
- Gain weight
- Pain in joints and muscles
- Brittle nails
- Voice hoarseness
- Puffiness in your face
- Delay tooth development in children
TESTS FOR HYPOTHYROIDISM
- TSH levels
TREATMENT FOR HYPOTHYROIDISM
- Hypothyroidism can be treated with the use of Beta Blockers. They are helpful in decreasing nervousness and reduce fast heart rates.
- The drug called Methimazole can be used to block thyroid hormone synthesis.
FOLLOW THESE THINGS TO IMPROVE THYROID FUNCTION
- Taking a high-quality multivitamin with Iodine, Zinc, Selenium, Vitamin D, and B vitamins.
- Take a tyrosine supplement to help with the FT4 to FT3 conversion.
- Go gluten-free! If you have Hashimoto’s, try going completely grain and legume free.
- Deal with your stress and support your adrenal glands by doing yoga
- Get 8 to 10 hours of sleep at night.
- Safely remove any amalgam fillings you may have by a dentist
- Get fluoride, bromide, and chlorine out of your diet and environment.
- Heal your gut. A properly functioning digestive system (gut) is critical to good health.
- Consult a doctor in your area and have them run the above laboratory test and work with you to find your root cause of the thyroid imbalance.
It’s not entirely clear why men have the less autoimmune disease than women. Researchers suspect it has to do with the differences in the immune system.
Women have been found to have a more intense immune response to vaccinations, trauma, and infections, compared to men.
So it is likely that this highly active immune system puts women at risk for more thyroid disease
Taking care and getting your thyroid checked can save you from many health complications caused by thyroid.
Please follow the link to “Healthy Life Happy Life”